Mar 4, 2009

Winter, Obama, Hope and "Finding Alice"

Camilla Trinchieri writes: It’s been a long time since I’ve written anything for this blog, but it’s been an odd winter. After needing a new crown, root canal surgery and a new filling in the space of two months, I’m calling this the winter of my dental discontent.

It’s easier to focus on teeth and the price paid to keep them in my mouth, than to dwell on the changes we’re all facing thanks to the sliding economy.


The good, no, the great news of this winter is that a man with brains is living in the White House. He’s going to make mistakes, the economy will take forever to pick up again, but at least he continues to inspire with his complete, erudite sentences, one cascading after another to form intelligent, strong thought, something we can hold up to the light, ponder, agree or disagree with. A side benefit is that Obama makes me feel that my own I.Q. is growing.


The main reason for my long silence is that I’ve been stretching myself to the hilt to reach for intelligent sentences of my own.
At the suggestion of my Italian publisher, Marcos y Marcos, I’m rewriting one of the two voices in my new novel, Finding Alice, a story I sat down to write for the first time on January 1, 1986. It then became my thesis at the MFA program at Columbia.

Finding Alice is a story that has possessed me, the story that got me to sit down and write.

I’m probably working on the 30
th draft.

Each one has gotten better because through the years what began as a personal story, meaningful perhaps only to me, found its own voice, its own reason for being.

The changes the Italian publisher suggested (how lucky that she cared enough to edit me) are right on. “Why didn’t I think of them?” I immediately asked myself. A dumb question I think every writer has asked at one point or another.